12 July 2009

Cherry Season
























It's nice to enjoy food in season, simple, fresh foods that make a day special in remembrance. Here's a recipe that will make a simple moment one of fond food memories for years to come.

Cleveland Heights Cherry Pie

12 ounce flour
8 ounces butter
4 ounces ice water

5 cups sour cherries, pits removed

1-1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup corn starch

Cut the butter into the flour, mix in the water just till a dough forms (don't over work it). Chill the dough. Roll out three quarters of the dough to fill a pie dish, save the rest for the lattice crust.

Combine the cherries, sugar and cornstarch and toss. Pour the mixture into your pie shell, lay your lattice over this and pinch the edges to form an appealing rim. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes then reduce the temperature to 350 and continue baking for another hour or until the filling is thick and bubbling.

This will make fans out of people who didn't even like cherry pie before tasting this simple pie.

2 Comments:

At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Robert said...

The cherries look great! I noticed that you are from Gloversville, NY. Many of my ancestors were from that area. Peck Lake is named after the brother of one of them. I am a small farmer, and I will be checking your blog in the future!

Robert Haugland
Dahinda, IL

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Hexdek16 said...

Robert,

Thank you for your interest, it really nice to have someone familiar with the local area visit. I'm a bit of a transplant myself and funny thing is I moved this far north to purchase land, build & tend a small farm! :) (No kidding)

I'm familiar with Peck Lake, about 20 minutes north of me. Nice area. Well wishes in your farming endeavors.

Regards,
Scott

 

Post a Comment

<< Home