03 August 2006

Economy


Economy

Inspired by Herrick’s recent post, I thought I’d share some more NY economics of note. Having just purchased our "new" car. Pictured here at the family mechanic’s house (my father) all shined and ready to roll. This 1983 classic is a Chevy Citation with 2/55 air conditioning standard. It’s engine has 78,000 original miles, and a gentle used price of $300 (tires included) we count ourselves fortunate. We originally purchased it to replace our 1995 Toyota Corolla 4 door truck/sedan (as we use it to haul just about everything) but after passing mile marker 200,000 over 38,000+ miles ago, I figure it's good till 300K or more, who knows?

Now, I don’t suppose I’ll be the envy of the Joneses or those who prefer to sport the “new” hybrids vehicles on the market today for eco-coconscious consumers. Just that when you add the difference in MPG vs. the cost of a new hybrid + full coverage insurance + deprecation + new car maintenance – less any additional repair cost for an ‘older’ vehicle, sans the worry of the “first scratch”. I’d say we’re a wee bit a head of the game, especially since this one came complete with some rust & a dent. Now the one drawback, as I mentioned is the 2/55 air conditioning (as our “steed” has the older R-12 refrigerant and production of R12 ended December 31, 1995) so I’d be hard pressed to find the stuff these days. The 2/55 air equation works like this: “Roll down 2 windows – go 55 mph”. I suppose if need be I might try a design like this





Hey, if it’s hot enough – “Necessity, who is the mother of invention” ~Plato

4 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Blogger Marci said...

We had a 1990 Pontiac Bonneville. We bought it from Michael's work when it had 80,000 miles on it. That thing drove so smooth. It got excellent gas mileage. Some tanks on the highway were 32 miles per gallon. Well, that engine just hummed away. However, other things started going wrong. The driver's door would not open anymore. So, Michael would have to slide across the seat. Then that door wouldn't open, so he would climb in the back seat and crawl over. We believe he was a source of amusement at work. He works in corporate America and they all drive the latest and greatest. Then my son used a sawzall to open the drivers door. They were going to fix it. You could not take the inside panel off to work on it unless the door was open. Well, they couldn't fix it, and the door wouldn't stay closed. So, they tied a rope from front door to front door, to keep it closed. Then the only door that would open was the back door on the passenger side. We would always giggle and wonder if that trip would be the one, we would all be stuck inside and have to crawl out a window. He would drive to work, park way out in the parking lot and crawl out from under the rope, over the seat and out the back door. It was a reverse of that when he went home. We were finally able to get him another cheap car (that is still running) and we put the Bonneville out to pasture with 352,000 miles on it. I called the junk yard (which paid us for the car) and they were actually able to drive it up on their trailer. =)

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Good going on the car, Scott. Coming from a family of mechanics, Dwayne has been the recipient of many inexpensive or cast off vehicles (some better put out to pasture). Speaking of cheap car hijinks....we had an Oldsmobile once upon a time (emphasis on the old) with a back door that would spring open at the slightest provocation. I remember one incident in which he was giving our oldest son and some friends a ride. As he swerved around a tight curve, a squeal was heard from the back seat. The unfortunate girl who was riding next to the "trick" door had been flung from her seat onto the pavement when the door popped open by surprise. The kids - including the victim - all thought it was great fun! My first car was a 1970 Chevy Nova I bought for $100. Loved it...especially its little personality quirks. There was a loose strand of wiring which caused the horn to blare as I turned corners or put my blinker on. People would wave as I passed thinking I was beeping at them. Once I was driving in Boston inside a tunnel with a lengthy curve. It created quite the astounding sound effects! I miss that car! :)

 
At 4:21 AM, Blogger Marci said...

Emily, I LOVE your car stories!!!

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Hexdek16 said...

Emily~ I remember way-back-when my parents having an old Kingswood Station Wagon and a similar "open door" incident!

The thing I like most about this vehicle (among others) is the low cost insurance, which amounts to $50 a month. Which depending on which state & your insurance rates is quite inexpensive for NY. Though I imagine on par, or high for folks in other parts. NY is not the easiest place to homestead in, though I imagine no place is any more difficult then one makes it.

Thanks to everyone for all the comments, will be posting a *new* soon. Been tending an iron I got stuck in the fire so to speak...........Regards.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home