05 June 2006

Chicken Update



“I want there to be no peasant in my kingdom so poor that he cannot have a chicken in his pot every Sunday.”

~Henry IV



Well it has been some time since our last post on our chickens, and I am pleased to say that they now have a home of their own. What a learning curve it has been! My culminate wisdom to date on how to raise chickens is this


First you get yourself some chickens………


That’s it!

Now I know there’s more to it than I’m letting on, but beyond the initial desire to do something such as raise some small livestock, like advise, less is more ~ so I’ll leave it at that.

Despite ineptitude and learning curves, hectic schedules and (work) relocations, rainy inclement weather and an all thumbs carpentry skill set we finished the coop & pen.






A note of thanks to Herrick for (now) two things: 1) mentioning the tarp (what a blessing!) and 2) his recent post on a wonderful alternative &
definitely agrarian feed source that you can grow at home! I’d be interested to see the results of our online community of growers this fall as we bring in the harvest for cold storage. I encourage you to check out Herrick’s post: HERE.





We look forward to future breakfasts with ‘garden fresh eggs’ and a Sunday dinner or two this summer – with a chicken in our pot! (sorry gang if you’re the squeamish type) We have selected our first candidate (to be named later) for our next endeavor “The Wizbang Chicken Plucker” you might say he’ll be our first aerospace test pilot. After reading Rick’s post and accompanying photos I am encouraged all the more to (pardon the pun) “Give it a Whirl!” I suppose I will take a week or two before beginning to build, as I first have to order my Wizbang Book and then acquire the necessary materials.

For now, we are enjoying our success and the chickens are quite pleased as well. Regards.

3 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Blogger Hexdek16 said...

If you notice there is a rather spacious size to the inside of plucker tub/barrel and when operations comence the scalded headless chicken bounces about in a sort of zero-gravity! Perhaps I should have used the irish idiom:

air-o'-space

(sheepish grin)

 
At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the pics Scott. Sounds like you are well on your way!!!

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Hey, will my chicks look like yours when they grow up? We have ten hens and two roosters....well, I guess ten "pullets" and two "cockerels" if you want to get technical. We've been taking them outdoors for little forays now that they're a month old. One of the roosters is already quite aggressive. I think he might be a candidate of the pot if he gets too feisty with us! Keep up the chicken chronicles! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home