26 February 2006

The Birthday Present


The Birthday Present


Sometimes they say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, it is with that spirit that I chose to duplicate Herrick’s web post title line today. [Please Click Here for Herrick’s Blog] Honestly it was my title line for today, created two days ago, but I did not find time to get a photo shot of the Axe.

This was a gift to me from my dear wife & my folks for passing mile marker thirty-eight, 20 years Chaz’s senior, but by all means folks if you’ve got boys and you’re so inclined, get them an axe! Don’t wait till they’re nigh to old to swing it either, as in my case, the earlier the better especially if you own a woodstove. (::wink::)

This particular axe was a definite desire of mine, a Gränsfors Bruks forged by Rune Andersson in Sweden. If you have the time it is a site worth viewing, aside from making a great product, I like their business model and philosophy. We hope to emulate their business model in many ways with the Coffee Company and our future farm endeavors. Like said earlier, Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. The fast buck company is still out there, the 9 to 5 till your 65 will soon be replaced by the 6 to 8 till your 88, or some facsimile of the same for the willing or weak. As for the meek, we shall inherit the earth (Matt. 5:5) for what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his soul? (Mark 8:36) I’m not so sure about Jesus as CEO, but I do know Him as King and Sovereign Lord and with that knowledge shall my family and I be content.

I mentioned to KS Milkmaid about the perplexing 10-year question I kept asking myself over and over again. To which I found my answer, and in it my course has been forever altered. My good friend Jim has a good measure for things when stretched or anxious, give it the 10,000-year test.

I.E. Ask yourself, “Will this matter in Ten Thousand Years?” and then act upon your principles and oft is said let you conscious be your guide, hopefully you’ve packed a pound of proverbs for your progress. A good reason for memorization of scripture. Now please don’t apply this measure to small tasks and petty pondering, and quip back with the “you said to” repartee, I tell you then that you have a fool for a guide, and I'd direct you to the nearest gas station to buy a map and a bus ticket one way. Save it for the heavy lifting of the souls work and unselfish service to others, for such as this it should be life’s liberal grease. Enough of my banter of the subject; thus endeth the lesson.

As I indicated above, the axe was a definite desire, see want, far from being a “need” as I did not “need” a G.B. crafted Axe. Truth be told, I do not need an axe at ‘tall! Since the wood we currently use warms our hearth and not our home. Knowing this let me make the conscious choice determining a want vs. a need. It is a lesson my wife and I are learning to live; the Conservers Lifestyle in eliminating many of our wants and pairing down our needs we get to focus in on what matters most to us. It’s a FUN feeling! Small, slow steps are beginning to feel like freedom for our souls as we wake to the reality that 99.9% of many of the proclaimed “necessities” of life are down right burdensome and apart from the singsong parroting voice of society and the keeping up with the “Jones” we need not carry the lot of them.

I hope you have as much fun with it as we are, tis good to sing a new song today (::with a bluegrass background of course!::) Regards.

3 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Great post, Scott, and many happy returns of the day to you! That's a fine-looking ax; my husband would enjoy owning one though at the moment he doesn't need one either. In future he will, so I will keep it in mind for upcoming birthdays.

I applaud your thoughts on the burden of possessions that we have in the past convinced ourselves we need. Christina addressed a similar topic quite well in her blog today. Being a reformed pack-rat, I've become an almost compulsive purger. I've pictured myself on a personal sort of Pilgrim's Progress: the cumbersome sack on my back filled with non-necessities becoming more uncomfortable and oppressive, with each step growing more sluggish. It is so true that freedom rushes in to release us when the pack is laid down. How much lighter then our steps and how delightful then the journey! May the Lord bless your efforts to simplify.

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I did attempt to email you but could not locate a link on your profile.....?

 
At 2:17 AM, Blogger Herrick Kimball said...

Hey Scott,

It's hard not to have axe envy when I see that picture of your birthday present. :-)

That's a real nice axe!

And, as always, I enjoyed reading your post.

Happy Belated birthday.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Genuine Lustre said...

Looks like a tool to last for generations.
Happy Birthday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home