11 December 2005

Compass


Catskill Compass












The thing is plain. All that men really understand, is confined to a very small compass; to their daily affairs and experience; to what they have an opportunity to know, and motives to study or practice. The rest is affectation and imposture.

~William Hazlitt


Having a respite from posting these past three weeks to attend to matters of the homestead, consideration of future events and consolation & prayer for the grieved, as my wife’s grandfather passed this month December 4th 2005. Death is an inevitable part of life; it is in fact most certain, we appreciate your thoughts and concern.

Given some time away from weblogging afforded me the opportunity to do some much needed research on things, finish a book or two (and start two new ones), as well as select a new bean to profile for the Coffee Company this coming year.

It is my hope to complete a selection of 7 signature roasts that we will be offering to our wholesale and eventually retail customers. Last year’s selection of a Brazilian bean from the South Minas region of Brazil was such a popular coffee it was difficult for me to ‘mentally’ move on and select a new bean to profile. This year’s selection: Colombian Popayan Supremo or as I term it “The Columbian Connection”. Now, we do roast several other coffees organic, decaf (Swiss Water Process) and fair trade selections, I have not yet acquired a reliable & cost efficient source for the beans. This has proven to be the hardest aspect of stability for our operation. Even roaster malfunction & repair is less evasive and consistent then finding a stable source of suppliers. Needless to say the holiday orders are coming in, so it will be a busy season toward the end of 2005.

Time has meet the expense on the latitude to expand my horizons a bit in getting to be familiar with the writings of Rick Saenz through various mentions and links in like minded agrarian weblogs. Small world it is, that I come to find out his catalog from his former nomenclature as Drought Horse Press is sitting beside me at my desk. Looks as if I’ll get the benefit of ordering some great reading for 2006.

I have taken some time to drafting some thoughts on two topics of interest that I came across and commented on: Purpose of the meeting of the church by ctroutma and Progress by KSMilkmaid, as I promised to revisit the subjects, and for those who know me, will tell you I promise very little and not often.

It has been evidenced in American Culture that we, as a nation, are a lot of sizzle but no substance! For our societal-schizophrenia thinks that just saying something is evidence we care and are sincere, while we willy-nilly forget our promises, grab our Prozac and wonder whatever is the matter with the world around us. If we could commit to doing half of what we said, we’d get twice as much accomplished. This is evidenced and supported by two sections of scripture Matthew 21:28-31 and James 4:13-15. This does not invalidate planning (proper & prayerful) or negate the avoidance of ‘fools folly’ if we should find ourselves on the short stick of wisdom in a particular matter. The whole council of God and His grace is sufficient in these (and all) matters. So to my vegetable enhanced cultural comrades, there’s the beef! (so to speak)

I found this article, which related to what Walter wrote about in his Pig Pile Post. Something I’ve documented to the long-term storage file of agrarian ideas, thank you Walter to introducing me to the concept. This is a reference and application to our proper & prayerful planning for future events in our pursuit of our family’s agrarian aspirations. We got to witness this in John’s announcement December 6th 2005, The Return. With applauds and high hopes for his success! You are an encouragement to us here in Catskill, NY. Also I hope to study out and give application to Herrick’s Chicken Plucker & Scalder for this summer, as we hope to have chickens this spring 2006. (as the Lord wills) I’ll wait for to see if the posting comes available at Cumberland Books.

We are about 3 months away from our new pup which should arrive sometime this coming March. We have a deposit on a Vizsla at Southside Dogs. I hope to get up and visit with Frank again before the litter comes; they are some terrific dogs. (The pup is our gift to each other this holiday) Note: Thank you Herrick for your post on a Good Country Dog. One must know the beginning and end of each story, it is important. Thank you.

So apart from that and some consummate searching of properties in the NY area for ag-land to meet our future goals, we keep the home fires burning and the roaster turning and that’s the Good Life here in Upstate New York………….(to be continued)

2 Comments:

At 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott:

Your thoughts have really spoken to my heart. Especially these words....

"It has been evidenced in American Culture that we, as a nation, are a lot of sizzle but no substance! For our societal-schizophrenia thinks that just saying something is evidence we care and are sincere, while we willy-nilly forget our promises, grab our Prozac and wonder whatever is the matter with the world around us. If we could commit to doing half of what we said, we’d get twice as much accomplished."

I count myself as a caring and sincere person and have been foolish enough to believe others are equally so...especially when they profess a faith in God.

As you can imagine I have found myself on the short stick of wisdom in particular matters. I am encouraged by this statement:

The whole council of God and His grace is sufficient in these (and all) matters.

Probably not difficult to discern through my writings and comments I am a trusting soul who errs on the side of giving people the benefit of the doubt. Likewise, it is probably not difficult to discern that I am on the short end of the wisdom stick in many matters. I pray His grace is sufficient for me and that His glory will shine all the more as I inadvertently and sometimes purposefully share my weaknesses. Yes, indeed, His power is perfected in weakness. May it be through mine.

Thank you for this post!!

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Authentic Farmer said...

Yes, Scott, I see you really do roast coffee! How interesting. We are going to be going online with a web-based home business in the spring (we hope) and Coffee might make a real nice addition to the product list.

Let's chat.

JM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home