22 October 2005

Homework


Homework

As the door turneth upon its hinges, so doth the sluggard upon his bed.
Proverbs 26:14

Having spent the better part of available time this week working on a 17-minute message for a presentation to the congregation I find myself at a loss for words.

Though the superior elements of my message consisted of borrowed sources and references; there is the requirement of sourcing, studying, consideration and aligning of text and verse to avoid saying “much to do about nothing”. As the writer of Ecclesiastes put it best in the opening chapter:

All things are wearisome, more than one can say. The eye never has enough of seeing, nor the ear its fill of hearing. What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. Is there anything of which one can say, "Look! This is something new"? It was here already, long ago; it was here before our time.

So as to add polish to its presentation of well-worn verses and authored ideas I presented my message to the cat and the clock. (As they were the only two things up at the time besides myself and I only half awake) I retired to bed sometime after 4 AM to receive a well-earned nap as 8AM did come early. Output does not necessarily (on the surface) reflect the required time/energy input in producing a presentable work.

Apart from that my wife and I have labored diligently in re-establishing a well-worn house that we now hold and call home. I stripping wood moldings and removing fixtures and my wife stripping away hours and years of old wallpaper to prepare surfaces for painting. I must say in hindsight that pulling up old rusty carpet tacks from hardwood floors is a far easier task than changing the hearts of men, but the later work reaps those things that neither moth not rust can destroy…(to be continued)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home